The US Vacation Rental Market: Analysis by Accommodation Type (Home, Resort/Condominium, Apartment, & Others), by Booking Mode (Online & Offline), Size & Trends with Impact Analysis of COVID-19 and Forecast up to 2026
In 2021, the US Vacation rental market was valued at US$14.32 billion in 2021, and is expected to reach up to US$21.53 billion in 2026. Vacation rental market describes a home, apartment, condo, villa or resort which gets rented by the property manager from time-to-time to local and/or international tourists. The popularity for vacation rental has grew significantly over the years because of their benefits such as low cost, comfort, kids and pet-friendly accommodation. The US vacation rental is expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.49% over the forecasted period of 2022-2026.
Vacation rentals have become more and more popular. According to global travel market researche company Phocuswright, the percentage of travellers who stayed in a vacation rental more than tripled from 2011 to 2019, from 10% to 34%. This trend was accelerated by COVID-19, as many travellers preferred vacation rentals over hotels for safety reasons.
Market Segmentation Analysis:
By Accommodation Type: The report involves the bifurcation of accommodation types into four parts; Home, Resort/Condominium, Apartment, & Others. In 2021, home segment dominated the market by absorbing almost half of the market, it is attributed to its wide presence in vacation rental space and access to amenities. On the other hand, Resort/Condominium is expected to register the highest CAGR of 8.67% in coming years, because of its growing demand from the millennials.
By Booking Mode: The report further involves the division of segments based on booking mode; Online & Offline. In 2021, Online segment held the highest share and it is also expected to be the fastest growing segment. Vacation rentals offered online, is likely to continue to rise because of increasing digitisation and better options for monetarisation of rental assets.
The US Vacation Rental Market Dynamics
Growth Drivers: The increased travel & tourism factor is majorly impacting the market and serving multiple growth opportunities to the vacation rental market space. Vacation rental has made many destinations attractive for the tourists which is not only fostering the market growth but also bringining employment in the country. Moreover, other factors such as sharing economy, rise in internet users, growing business leisure travel, millennial influence in the market, and cost-savings of vacation rental are also fostering market growth.
Challenges: The market also have to deal with some of the challenges such as concerns regarding fraudulent listings, neighourbood changes, and competition for inventory. These challenges are somewhat hampering market growth in coming years. Guests booking their accommodation also have to go through the cyber risk and have suffered cyber crimes happened against them.
Trends: Vacation rental market growth in coming year is attributed to the factor of metasearch engine for vacation rentals. Metasearch engine platform are introducting property managers to a larger audience and helping them obtaining guests in the early process of booking. Furthermore, other notable trends such as rise in popularity of countryside and costal vacation, quality as a marketing tool, rise in flexaction, contactless solutions, usage of vacation rental tools & software, and solo travelling are contributing to the growth of the market in the coming years.
Impact Analysis of COVID-19 and Way Forward:
The US vacation rental market has also absorbed a slowdon due to the restrictions imposed on the domestic and international travel. Property managers increased their average nightly rate to cover up their losses from the fall in prices of average daily rate. But when the country started vaccination drive and started re-opening the country, the demand for vacation rental grew up. The trend of cleanliness is more likely to emerge as due to the pandemic people have become more cautious of the hygiene situation of the place they are staying in. Infact, the trend for staying in hotels/motels to staying in vacation rentals has also accelerated since the COVID-19 crisis, with many travelers preferring vacation rentals versus traditional accommodation for safety reasons.
The US Vacation Rental market is fragmented, because of low barriers in entry. This feature has ended up intesifyied competition in the market and also increased bargaining power of the buyers.
The key players of the US vacation rental market are:
Expedia Group, Inc.
Marriott International, Inc.
Bookings Holdings, Inc.
TripAdvisor, Inc./Flipkey family and Airbnb, Inc. are each other biggest competitor even though their style of addressing the market is different from each other. The three major accommodation providers Booking.com, Expedia/Vrbo and Airbnb only have a combined market share of 8%. Airbnb, Inc. business model works on the foundation of not acquiring any property even though serving as a mediator between property managers and guests. TripAdvisor, Inc. business model based on matching the demand of guests with the supply of accommodations and other travel experiences by the travel partners. TripAdvisor, Inc. revenue model is managed by Flipkey which uses same revenue model as Airbnb, Inc.
Scope of the Report:
The report titled The US Vacation Rental Market: Analysis By Accommodation Type (Home, Resort/Condominium, Apartment, Others) By Booking Mode (Online & Ofline), By Size and Trends with Impact of COVID-19 and forecast up to 2026, includes :
An in-depth analysis of the US vacation rental market by value, by accomdation, by booking mode, etc.
A detailed analysis of the US vacation rental market by users and by penetration rate.
Comprehensive information about US market. This report analyses the market for various segments across the US.
Provides an analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the US vacation rental market.
Assesses the key opportunities in the market and outlines the factors that are and will be driving the growth of the industry. Growth of the overall US vacation rental market has also been forecasted for the period 2022-2026, taking into consideration the previous growth patterns, the growth drivers, and the current and future trends.
Evaluation of the potential role of vacation rental in the US to improve the market status
Identification of latest technological developemnts, and revolutionary changes occurring in the market.
In-depth profiling of the key players, including the assessment of the business overview, market strategies, regional and business segments of the leading players in the market.
The recent developments, mergers and acquisitions related to mentioned key players are provided in the market report.
The in-depth analysis provides an insight into the Market, underlining the growth rate and opportunities offered in the business.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Introduction 2.1 Vacation Rental: An Overview 2.1.1 Features of Vacation Rentals 2.1.2 History of Vacation Rentals 2.1.3 Common Types of Vacation Rental 2.1.4 Difference between Vacation Rental and Hotel 2.2 Vacation Rentals Segmentation: An Overview 2.2.1 Vacation Rentals Segmentation
3. The US Market Analysis 3.1 The US Vacation Rental Market: An Analysis 3.1.1 The US Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.1.2 The US Vacation Rental Market By User & Penetration Rate 3.1.3 The US Vacation Market by Accommodation Type (Home, Resort/Condominium, Apartment & Others) 3.1.4 The US Vacation Market by Booking Mode (Online & Offline) 3.2 The US Vacation Rental Market: Accommodation Type Analysis 3.2.1 The US Home Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.2.2 The US Resort/Condominium Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.2.3 The US Apartment Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.2.4 The US Others Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.3 The US Vacation Rental Market: Booking Mode Analysis 3.3.1 The US Online Vacation Rental Market by Value 3.3.2 The US Offline Vacation Rental Market by Value
4. Impact of COVID-19 4.1 Impact of COVID-19 4.1.1 Impact of COVID-19 on the US Vacation Rental Market 4.1.2 Decline in Occupancy Rate of Airbnb in Major Cities 4.1.3 Trends Emerged Due to COVID-19 4.1.4 Post-COVID Scenario
5. Market Dynamics 5.1 Growth Drivers 5.1.1 Increased Travel and Tourism Activity 5.1.2 Rise in Internet Users 5.1.3 Growing Business Leisure Travel 5.1.4 Ways Millennial are impacting the market 5.1.5 Sharing Economy 5.1.6 Cost-Benefits in Staying over a Hotel 5.2 Challenges 5.2.1 Concerns regarding Fraudulent Listing 5.2.2 Competition for Inventory 5.2.3 Neighborhood Changes 5.3 Market Trends 5.3.1 Rise in Popularity of Countryside and Coastal Vacation 5.3.2 Quality as a Marketing Tool 5.3.3 Rise in Flexcation 5.3.4 Contactless Solutions 5.3.5 Usage of Vacation Rental Tools & Software 5.3.6 Metasearch Engine for Vacation Rentals 5.3.7 Solo Travelling
6. Competitive Landscape 6.1 The US Vacation Rental Market Players: Competitive Landscape 6.1.1 Highly Fragmented Market 6.2 The US Vacation Rental Market Players: A Financial Comparison 6.3 The US Vacation Rental Market Players by Share Visits 6.4 The US Vacation Rental Market Players by Internet Presence Comparison
7. Company Profiles 7.1 Expedia Group, Inc. 7.1.1 Business Overview 7.1.2 Operating Segments 7.1.3 Business Strategy 7.2 TripAdvisor, Inc. 7.2.1 Business Overview 7.2.2 Operating Segments 7.2.3 Business Strategy 7.3 Accor SA 7.3.1 Business Overview 7.3.2 Operating Segments 7.3.3 Business Strategy 7.4 Marriott International, Inc. 7.4.1 Business Overview 7.4.2 Operating Segments 7.4.2 Business Strategy 7.5 Bookings Holdings, Inc. 7.5.1 Business Overview 7.5.2 Operating Regions 7.5.3 Business Strategy 7.6 Airbnb, Inc. 7.6.1 Business Overview 7.6.2 Operating Regions 7.6.3 Business Strategy 7.7 HomeToGo 7.7.1 Business Overview 7.7.2 Revenue by Types 7.7.3 Business Strategy 7.8 Vacasa 7.8.1 Business Overview 7.8.2 Business Strategy 7.9 Evolve 7.9.1 Business Overview 7.9.2 Business Strategy 7.10 Interhome Group 7.10.1 Business Overview
List of Tables
Table 1: Difference between Vacation Rental and Hotel Table 2: The US Vacation Rental Market Players: A Financial Comparison; 2021 Table 3: The US Vacation Rental Market Players by Internet Presence Comparison
List of Figures
Figure 1: Features of Vacation Rental Figure 2: History of Vacation Rentals Figure 3: Common Types of Vacation Rentals Figure 4: Vacation Rentals Segmentation Figure 5: The US Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 6: The US Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 7: The US Vacation Rental Market by User & Penetration Rate; 2018-2026 (Million & Percentage, %) Figure 8: The US Vacation Market by Accommodation Type; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 9: The US Vacation Rental Market by Booking Mode; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 10: The US Home Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 11: The US Home Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 12: The US Resort/Condominium Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 13: The US Resort/Condominium Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 14: The US Apartment Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 15: The US Apartment Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 16: The US Others Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 17: The US Others Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 18: The US Online Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 19: The US Online Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 20: The US Offline Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2018-2021 (US$ Billion) Figure 21: The US Offline Vacation Rental Market by Value; 2022-2026 (US$ Billion) Figure 22: The US Decline in Occupancy Rate of Airbnb by Major Cities; 2019-2020 (Percentage, %) Figure 23: Trends Emerged Due to COVID-19 Figure 24: The US Domestic & International Travel Spending; 2019-2025 (US$ Billion) Figure 25: The US number of Internet Users; 2018-2025 (Million) Figure 26: The US Business Travel Spending; 2019-2025 (US$ Billion) Figure 27: The US Millennial Population; 2019-2021 (Millions) Figure 28: The US Vacation Rental User Demographics by Age; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 29: The US Vacation Rental Market Players by Share Visits; June 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 30: Expedia Group, Inc. Revenue by Segment; 2020 (Percentage, %) Figure 31: TripAdvisor, Inc. Revenue by Segment; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 32: Accor SA Revenue by Segment; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 33: Mariott International Revenue by Segment; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 34: Bookings Holdings, Inc. Revenue by Region; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 35: Airbnb, Inc. Revenue by Region; 2021 (Percentage, %) Figure 36: HomeToGo Revenue by Types; 2021 (Percentage, %)
Write comment about above report:
Published By: Daedal Research
Did you find what you are/were looking for
If not, read below and browse through other relevant pages for similar market research
reports OR get in touch with us through the form/contact info in your right navigation
panel and well share relevant market report titles for you to explore.
We are on:
500,000 market research reports and growing.
Top Fortune 500 Organizations trust us for research data.
24/7 support on call as well as emails.
Your Details are safe with us.
Free support for your research requirements.
Report Delivery: Email
Upto 24 hrs - working days
Upto 48 hrs max - weekends and public holidays
Buy Any Report Avail 20% Discount. Coupon Code: DIS20
Connect for special KNOWLEDGE STORE Deals Subscription starts at $ 20K