Within the oral mucosal cavity, the buccal region offers an attractive route of administration for systemic drug delivery. The mucosa has a rich blood supply and it is relatively permeable. The buccal mucosa offers several advantages for controlled drug delivery for extended periods of time. The mucosa is well supplied with both vascular and lymphatic drainage and first-pass metabolism in the liver and pre-systemic elimination in the gastrointestinal tract are avoided. The area is well suited for a retentive device and appears to be acceptable to the patient. With the right dosage form design and formulation, the permeability and the local environment of the mucosa can be controlled and manipulated in order to accommodate drug permeation. Buccal drug delivery is a promising area for continued research with the aim of systemic delivery of orally inefficient drugs as well as a feasible and attractive alternative for non-invasive delivery of potent peptide and protein drug molecules. In 2014, sales of Suboxone sublingual film totalled approximately $1.3 billion in the U.S. while the total market grew to more than $1.7 billion, driven by a 11 percent increase in prescriptions. In 2014, Bunavail buccal film has received US approval which has similar bioavailability of suboxone with half of the dose of buprenorphine.
Other than drugs used for local actions (antifungal, antiviral), generally controlled substances like buprenorphine, naloxone and fentanyl are preferred to release the drug through buccal formulations. However, testosterone (striant) to treat low testosterone levels in men also approved through use of buccal system of delivery. In the US, drugs such as Isosorbide dinitarte, ergoloid delivered sublingually have been discontinued and nitroglycerin has been replaced with sublingual metered spray. Ergomar (ergotamine tartarate) marketed by Rosedale therapeutics is the only sublingual tablets available in the US market, priced $15 per pill. Subsys (fentanyl) developed by Insys therapeutics was the recent sublingual spray approved in the US for the treatment of breakthrough cancer pain.
Global pharma companies such as Biodelivery Sciences, Bioalliance pharma (Onexo), Meda pharma, Orexo, Generex, Teijin are actively involved in developing oral mucoadhesive buccal delivery systems while sublingual technology have been used by Teva, Sun pharma, Grunenthal, Neurax, Angelini, Sandoz, Ethypharm, Arrow generics, Purdue and Actavis pharma. Sublingual spray technology have been employed by the companies such as Insys therapeutics, Perrigo, Mist pharm, Regency, Novadel, Generex, GW Pharma and Pohl Boskamp in developing potential drugs for the patients.
Ease of administration and better compliance offered by delivering through buccal route offers advantages for patients and physicians over other Invasive route and oral ingestion will drive the market further in positive directions going forward. Novel buccal delivery such as soluble thin films, mucoadhesive films and rapidmist spray offers newer route of delivery for the generics that has lesser patients compliances.
This report will provide detailed analysis on buccal delivery systems in broader pharma market in finding companies and technologies and complexities involved in developing this unique high potential delivery system
5. Limitations and Challenges of Buccal delivery system
6. Buccal Films Formulation aspects Ideal Characteristic of drugs/excipients for developing Buccal delivery formulations Manufacturing Methods Solvent casting method Hot-melt extrusion Semisolid casting Solid dispersion Rolling Physico-Chemical Evaluation of Buccal Films Marketed Buccal Films Technologies used in Buccal/Sublingual films BEMA PharmaFilm
8. Sublingual films/Tablets Buccal/ sublingual formulations approved in the US including generics Buccal/ sublingual formulations discontinued in the US Buccal/ sublingual formulations underdevelopment worldwide Buccal /sublingual formulations approved in Europe
9. Other technologies used in buccal delivery systems ArisGen Pharma (ArisCrown technology) Mystic Pharma (VersiDoser powder technology) Uluru (OraDisc Technology) Tesa labtec (PerioPatch) – buccal patch Intellidrug (Intraoral drug delivery device) Generex Pharma (RapidMist Technology) Insys therapeutics (sublingual spray)
10. Oral Thin fast Dissolving Films (OTF) –Ideal Characteristics, Classification and Evaluation Auxillium Pharma (PharmForm Tech) LTS Lohmann OTF IntelGenx OTF Tapemark Solustrip technology Applied Pharma Research/Tesa Labtec – RapidFilm Technology Tesa Labtec Pharma -Mucofilm Cynapsus Pharma – Sublingual thin film Seoul Pharma -SmartFilm Other patented approaches XGel film Soluleaves Wafertab Foamburst Micap
List of Tables
Table 1: List of Approved formulations in mucoadhesive systems worldwide Table 2: List of Marketed Mucoadhesive Drugs Developed Outside the US Table 3: List of USFDA approved Buccal formulations Table 4: List of Sublingual Delivery Formulations Approved by the USFDA Table 5: List of Discontinued Buccal And Sublingual Formulations from the US market Table 6: List of Sublingual Formulations Approved in Europe Table 7: List of Buccal Formulations Approved in Europe Table 8: List of Mucoadhesive delivery drugs under clinical development Table 9: Classification of Oral Fast Dissolving Technologies Table 10: Approved Formulations using Oral Thin Film Technologies Table 11: Physico-chemical Properties of Mucoadhesive Wafers (Oral Thin Films)
List of Charts:
Chart 1: Drug in Mucoadhesive Thin Film Matrix Chart 2: Ideal properties of Mucoadhesive polymers Chart 3: Buccal and Oral Delivery of Peptides through Ariscrown Chart 4: Oral Peptide Delivery Pipeline from ArisGen Pharma Chart 5: VersiDoser from Mystic Pharma Chart 6: Clinical profile of Oral-Lyn in Comparison with Humulin (LLY)
Write comment about above report:
Published By: MP Advisors
Did you find what you are/were looking for
If not, read below and browse through other relevant pages for similar market research
reports OR get in touch with us through the form/contact info in your right navigation
panel and well share relevant market report titles for you to explore.
Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused).
We are on:
500,000 market research reports and growing.
Top Fortune 500 Organizations trust us for research data.