United Kingdom (UK) Wealth Management - Competitive Dynamics 2020
This report provides an overview of the top wealth managers in the UK, based on business model and minimum investment thresholds as well as rankings based on assets under management. It explores regulations that pertain to wealth managers and offers insight into recent M&A activity, new entrants to the UK market, and divestment activity. The report also examines product and service innovations and personalized offerings.
The top 20 UK wealth managers saw assets under management (AUM) growth in 2019, with positive market performance and acquisitions common reasons for outperforming the previous year. In 2020, new entrants were scarce in the wealth market space due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but digital players continued expanding services and partnering to retain clientele and grow their customer base. Mitigating the negative impact of the Coronavirus Crash was key for regulators in 2020, and with the Brexit transition coming to an end there is new regulation for firms to abide by.
- The market leaders in terms of AUM are St. Jamess Place Wealth Management, Barclays, and Cazenove Capital. The AUM of the top 20 UK wealth managers grew by 15% between 2018 and 2019.
- UK wealth management activity remains concentrated in London and South East England, with the regions home to a combined 29.5% of total UK HNW liquid assets.
- Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the government, the Bank of England, and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) have been working with the industry to mitigate the impact of the downturn for both firms and their clients.
- M&A activity continues, with some competitors using it to grow their market share. The merger between Smith & Williamson and Tilney was completed in 2020.
Reasons to Buy
- Benchmark your market share against the top 20 UK performers.
- Understand drivers for AUM growth among leading wealth managers in the UK.
- Gain insight into M&A activity and organic growth for both new entrants and incumbents.
- Understand changes to UK regulations.
- Learn about product and service innovations among traditional wealth managers.
- Understand growth within the robo-advice space.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
1.1 Market overview
1.2 Key findings
1.3 Critical success factors
2. The UK Wealth Management Market Structure
2.1 UK wealth managers use a wide range of business models
2.2 Family offices and private banks keep investment thresholds high
2.3 Wealth managers and competition are concentrated in the traditionally affluent London and South East markets
2.4 The leading UK wealth managers continue to expand
3. Regulatory Trends
3.1 UK regulators focus on COVID-19 impact
3.2 New regulation introduced as the UK leaves the EU
3.3 Goldman Sachs fined just under £100m
4. Competitive Trends
4.1 UK competitors remain active in the M&A space
4.2 Product and service innovation is focused around the digital space, pensions, and ESG investments
5.1 Abbreviations and acronyms
5.4 Secondary sources
List of Tables
Table 1: Different types of UK onshore wealth management providers
Table 2: Competitors with the highest investment thresholds (discretionary portfolios), 2019
Table 3: Liquid assets held and percentage of HNW clients assets by region, 2019
Table 4: Top 20 UK wealth management firms by AUM (£m), 2018-19
Table 5: Minimum investment thresholds across the top 20 competitors
Table 6: Select fines imposed by the FCA in 2020
Table 7: Select wealth managers M&A activity, 2020
Table 8: Select UK wealth managers new office openings, 2020
List of Figures
Figure 1: The top 20 wealth managers by total AUM are concentrated in London and the South East
Write comment about above report:
Published By: GlobalData
Did you find what you are/were looking for
If not, read below and browse through other relevant pages for similar market research
reports OR get in touch with us through the form/contact info in your right navigation
panel and well share relevant market report titles for you to explore.
We are on:
500,000 market research reports and growing.
Top Fortune 500 Organizations trust us for research data.
24/7 support on call as well as emails.
Your Details are safe with us.
Free support for your research requirements.
Report Delivery: Email
Upto 24 hrs - working days
Upto 48 hrs max - weekends and public holidays
Buy Any Report Avail 25% Discount. Coupon Code: JAN25