Sustainability in Aerospace and Defense - Thematic Research
Sustainability will shake up the aerospace and defense sector
Sustainability is of tremendous importance to the defense and aerospace industry and has implications across many levels of production. Commercial aircraft are a significant source of carbon emissions, and the industry is coming under increasing pressure to increase its climate responsibility.
The defense industry specifically also needs to maintain a consciousness of sustainability issues. Manufacturing defense platforms demands vast quantities of raw materials such as metals. These metals must be dug up from the ground, its ore processed, melted into a useable form and then processed through stamping, casting, forging or milling. These processes are among the most energy-intensive across all manufacturing. Additionally, advanced systems rely upon rare earth metals, which are sparse globally, and concentrated in countries with questionable human rights records. For example, Cobalt is mainly sourced from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where supply chains are hard to trace and concerns have been raised over the use of child labor. China has the worlds largest resources of rare earth metals, holding approximately 35% of the worlds reserves.
Sustainability also encompasses good corporate governance. One measure of good corporate governance may be the reliance to cyber-attacks. Aerospace and defense firms are often possess highly classified information, making them an attractive target for cyber-attacks and ransomware attacks. In 2020, a supplier to several major defense companies, including Lockheed Martin, Boeing, General Dynamics, and SpaceX, was the target of a ransomware attack.
- Demand for sustainability will be driven by increasing global demand for efficiency and climate responsibility in commercial aviation, aswell as the desire to build a sustainable business model.
- The reluctance of many CEOs to fully engage with sustainability can be attributed to the age-old view that it will hurt profits. However, the evidence in this report suggests the opposite. Companies that embrace all three elements of sustainability will outperform their peers. CEOs that are too slow to improve their companys approach to sustainability will see an exodus of customers and a drop in profits far sooner than they ever imagined.
- This report looks at key products used in sustainability.
- This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our thematic engine.
Reasons to Buy
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global Aerospace & Defense.
- Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalDatas thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
Table of Contents
GlobalDatas sustainability framework
The impact of sustainability on aerospace and defense
Sustainability measurement and response
Write comment about above report:
Published By: GlobalData
Did you find what you are/were looking for
If not, read below and browse through other relevant pages for similar market research
reports OR get in touch with us through the form/contact info in your right navigation
panel and well share relevant market report titles for you to explore.
We are on:
500,000 market research reports and growing.
Top Fortune 500 Organizations trust us for research data.
24/7 support on call as well as emails.
Your Details are safe with us.
Free support for your research requirements.
Report Delivery: Email
Upto 24 hrs - working days
Upto 48 hrs max - weekends and public holidays
Buy Any Report Avail 25% Discount. Coupon Code: JAN25