The 2020 study has 135 pages, 56 tables and figures.
Batteries are changing in response to the implementation of wind and solar energy systems. Solid state batteries represent the next generation of power storage for vehicles. Nanotechnology permits units to be miniaturized, standalone, and portable. Solid-state batteries have advantages in power and density: low-power draw and high-energy density. They have limitations in that there is difficulty getting high currents across solid–solid interfaces.
Power delivery is different in solid state batteries, – there is more power per given weight. The very small and very thin size of solid state battery electrodes help to reduce the physical size of the sensor or device using the battery. Units can stay in the field longer. Solid state batteries can store harvested energy.
When combined with energy harvesting solid state batteries can make a device stay in the field almost indefinitely, last longer, power sensors better.
Temperature is a factor with batteries. The solid-state batteries work in a very broad range of temperatures, making them able to be used for ruggedized applications. Solid state batteries are ecofriendly. Compared with traditional batteries, solid state thin film batteries are less toxic to the environment.
Solid state battery market driving forces include response to IoT, creating business inflection by delivering technology that supports entirely new capabilities is a market benefit. Sensor networks are creating demand for solid state devices. Vendors doubled revenue and almost tripled production volume from first quarter. Multiple customers are moving into production with innovative products after successful trials.
A solid state battery electrolyte is a solid, not porous liquid. The solid is denser than liquid, contributing to the higher energy density. Charging is complex. In an automotive application, recharge cycles go up, rendering a next generation battery. The cycles increase by the inverse of the depth of discharge. Long shelf life is a benefit of being a solid state battery. The fact that the battery housing does not need to deal with gases and vapors as a part of the charging/discharging process is another advantage.
Nanostructured or nano-enabled batteries are a new generation of lithium-ion batteries and battery systems to serve applications and markets. Nano-enabled batteries employ technology at the nano-scale, a scale of minuscule particles that measure less than 100 nanometers, or 100x10-9 meters.
Lithium ion battery markets reach $1 trillion in 2026 in response to the adoption of solar and wind energy generation and the rapid adoption of electric vehicles that replace the gasoline powered vehicles. Global warming is forcing a shift from fuels that are burned to renewable energy generation. Solid state batteries represent the next generation of lithium ion batteries and will account for powering electric cars.
University of Illinois at Urbana
University of Texas
MIT Solid State Battery Research
Johnson Research & Development
Balsara Research Group, UC Berkley
All-solid secondary battery
Sulfide-based thin film
Battery discharge rate
High-Temperature Cycle Performance Battery
Thin Film Battery
Thin Film Solid State
Solid State Battery
Integrated Supply Chain
Polymer Film Substrate
Flexible Thin Battery
Polymer Film Substrate
Smart Card Battery
RFID and Small Thin Film
Battery-Assisted Passive and Active RFID
Solid State Energy Storage
Manganese Dioxide Nanotechnology
Organic Radical Battery (ORB)
Polymer Film Substrate
Lithium Air Battery
Thin Film Battery Timescales
Table of Contents
Solid State Battery Executive Summary 7
1. Solid-State Battery Market Definition and Market Dynamics 10 1.1 Batteries with Solid-State Electrolytes Inherently Safer 10 1.1.1 Solid-State Battery Is A Cell Without Any Liquid Or Gel Electrolytes 10 1.2 Electric Vehicles Use Lithium Ion Batteries 11 1.3 Solid State Battery Challenges and Solutions 12
2. Lithium Ion Battery Market Shares and Forecasts 14 2.1 Lithium Ion Battery Market Driving Forces 14 2.1.1 Advantages of Solid-State Batteries 16 2.1.2 Disadvantages of Lithium Ion Batteries 2.2 Solid State Battery Market Shares 18 2.3 Battery Market Forecasts 23 2.3.1 Lithium Ion Battery Market Forecasts 24 2.4 Lithium-ion Battery Market Shares and Description 30 2.4.1 Lithium Ion Battery Key Market Players 34 2.4.2 ATL 35 2.4.3 Panasonic 35 2.5 Lithium Ion Battery Pricing 36 2.6 Lithium Ion Battery Regional Market Segments 37 2.6.1 Lithium ion Battery Market Asia Pacific (APAC) to Witness the Fastest Lithium Ion Battery Growth 39 2.6.2 China 39
3. Solid State Battery Product Developments 40 3.1 Companies Embrace Renewable Energy As a Result of Push from Employee Base and Customers 40 3.1.1 Anheuser-Busch 40 3.1.2 China Invests in Higher Capacity Batteries 40
4. Solid State Battery Research and Technology 41 4.1 Materials for Use As Solid Electrolytes 41 4.2 Solid Power Solid State Battery Technology 41 4.3 Japan’s Tohoku University Hydride Lithium Superionic Conductor 42 4.4 Amprius® Technologies Stores Lithium In Tiny Silicon Nanowires 44
5. Solid State Battery Company Profiles 50 5.1 Amperex Technology Ltd. (CATL) 50 5.1.1 CATL Initial Public Offering in Shenzhen 50 5.2 Amprius 51 5.3 Apple 54 5.3.1 Infinite Power Solutions 5.4 Aquion Energy 56 5.5 BASF 56 5.6 Bolloré 57 5.6.1 Blue Solutions 59 5.7 BMW 59 5.8 Bosch 60 5.9 Cymbet 61 5.10 Dyson / Sakti3 63 5.11 Enovate 64 5.12 Ford 65 5.13 Front Edge Technology 66 5.13.1 Front Edge Technology Technical Information 68 5.14 General Motors 75 5.15 Hyundai 75 5.16 Ilika 75 5.17 Ion Storage Systems 75 5.18 Ionic 76 5.18.1 Ionic Materials Liquid Crystal Polymer 76 5.19 Jiawei 77 5.20 Johnson Battery Technologies 77 5.21 MIT 77 5.22 Mitsui Kinzoku 80 5.23 Panasonic 80 5.23.1 Panasonic Leader In Lithium Ion Battery Market By Virtue Of Its Position As A Supplier to Tesla 81 5.24 Pellion 81 5.25 PolyPlus 5.26.1 PolyPlus Battery Company Joint Development Agreements, One with SK Innovation Co. Ltd., 83 5.27 ProLogium 83 5.27.1 Softbank Backs ProLogium 85 5.27.2 ProLogium Major Product Pipelines 85 5.27.3 ProLogium Production Capacity Able To Meet Their Demand For Solid-State Batteries 87 5.28 Quantumscape 91 5.29 SK Innovation 91 5.30 Seeo 96 5.31 Sion Power 96 5.31.1 Sion Power Chemically Stable Ceramic Barriers 99 5.20 Solid Power 104 5.20.1 Solid Power Technology 105 5.20.2 Solid Power Teaming with Ford 107 5.21 Sumitomo Electric Industries 107 5.22 SUNY 110 5.23 Thermo Scientific 111 5.23.1 Thermo Scientific Spectrometers 112 5.24 Toyota 112 5.24.1 Ilia High-Throughput Vapor Deposition Used To Access Solid Electrolytes For Toyota 113 5.24.2 Toyota Sakti3 Solid State Battery Prototype 113 5.25 Tesla Canada Industrial Research Chair, Canada Research Chair, Dalhousie University 114 5.26 University of Illinois at Urbana 5.27 University of Texas 116 5.28 Volkswagen Group 117 5.29 Wildcat Discovery Technologies 118 5.30 Selected Companies Participating in the Solid State Battery Market
List of Figures
Figure 1. Solid State Battery Market Leaders, Worldwide, 2019 7 Figure 2. Solid State Battery Challenges 12 Figure 3. Solid State Battery Solutions 13 Figure 4. Renewable Energy Storage Metrics 15 Figure 5. Advantages of Solid-State Batteries 16 Figure 6. Disadvantages of Lithium Ion Batteries 17 Figure 7. Solid State Battery Market Leaders, Worldwide, 2019 19 Figure 8. Solid State Battery Market Shares, Dollars, Worldwide, 2019 21 Figure 9. Solid State Battery Market Shares, Dollars, Worldwide, 2019 22 Figure 10. Lithium Ion Battery Market Forecasts, Dollars Shipped, Worldwide, 2020-2026 25 Figure 11. Lithium Ion Battery Market Forecasts, Dollars Shipped, Worldwide, 2020-2026 Figure 12. Lithium Ion Battery Market Forecasts, Units Shipped, Worldwide, 2020-2026 27 Figure 13. Lithium Ion Battery Market Industries 28 Figure 14. Lithium Ion Battery, Dollars, Market Leader Shares 2019 30 Figure 15. Lithium Ion Battery Market Leaders Shares, Dollars, Worldwide, 2019 31 Figure 16. Lithium Ion Battery Market Participant Description 32 Figure 17. Hitachi Power Tool Lithium Ion Battery 36 Figure 18. Lithium Ion Battery Regional Market Segments, Dollars, Worldwide, 2019 37 Figure 19. Lithium Ion Battery Regional Market Segments, Dollars, Worldwide, 2019 38 Figure 20. Materials for Use as Solid Electrolytes in Solid-State Batteries 41 Figure 21. Amprius® Technologies Tiny Silicon Nanowires 44 Figure 22. Benefits of Using Lithium In Tiny Silicon Nanowires 45 Figure 23. Cross Sectional Image of Amprius Technologies’ Silicon Nanowire Anode using a Scanning Electron Microscope 45 Figure 24. Advantages of Amprius Technologies 100% Silicon Nanowire Batteries 46 Figure 25. Amprius® Technologies Si Nanowire vs. Anode Li-Ion Cells Comparison 47 Figure 26. Amprius® Technologies Energy Density Comparison 48 Figure 27. Amprius Technologies 100% Silicon Nanowire Battery Technology 51 Figure 28. Amprius® Technologies 500 Wh/kg Batteries Provide Ultra-High Energy Density And Excellent Cycle Life 52 Figure 29. Applications Currently Using Amprius Technologies Batteries 53 Figure 30. Bolloré BlueCar in France, with Solid State Battery Developed For a Car-Sharing Service 58 Figure 31. EnerChip Applications Power Characteristics 62 Figure 32. EnerChip Device Applications Figure 33. Images of the Enovate Electric Car Powered by a Solid-State Battery 64 Figure 34. Enovate Electric Car Interior 65 Figure 35. Front Edge Technology NanoEnergy® Micro Device Rechargeable Battery66 Figure 36. Ionic Materials Solid State Battery 67 Figure 37. ProLogium Solid State Battery Applications: UPS, AVG, Solar Street Lights, Consumer Electronics, Electric Vehicles, Rideshare Vehicles 88 Figure 38. ProLogium Solid State Battery Applications: Energy Storage System, Yacht, Telecom Towers, Solar and Wind Energy System, Touring Car 89 Figure 39. ProLogium Solid State Battery 89 Figure 40. ProLogium Battery Comparison Table 90 Figure 41. SK Innovation Battery Cell in Production 92 Figure 42. NMC Composition Diagram Illustrates Less Cobalt (Co) Means Lower Cost 93 Figure 43. Lithium Ion Battery Material Development and Cell Roadmap 94 Figure 44. Sion Power Licerion® Battery 98 Figure 45. Sion Power Battery Metrics 99 Figure 46. Sion Power Website Images 100 Figure 47. Sion Power Website Images 101 Figure 48. Sion Power Lithium Metal Website Images 102 Figure 49. Sion Power Website Images 103 Figure 50. Solid Power All Solid State Batteries 105 Figure 51. Solid Power Factory 106 Figure 52. Sumitomo Electric Solid State Battery Challenges 108 Figure 53. Sumitomo Electric Solid State Battery Solutions 109 Figure 54. SUNY NorthEast Center for Chemical Energy Storage (NECCES) Funding 111 Figure 55. Toyota Sakti3 Solid State Battery Prototype Figure 56. University of Illinois at Urbana – Champagne. Dynamic Networks for Solid Polymer Electrolytes
Write comment about above report:
Published By: WinterGreen Research
Did you find what you are/were looking for
If not, read below and browse through other relevant pages for similar market research
reports OR get in touch with us through the form/contact info in your right navigation
panel and well share relevant market report titles for you to explore.
We are on:
500,000 market research reports and growing.
Top Fortune 500 Organizations trust us for research data.
24/7 support on call as well as emails.
Your Details are safe with us.
Free support for your research requirements.
Report Delivery: Email
Upto 24 hrs - working days
Upto 48 hrs max - weekends and public holidays
Buy Any Report Avail 25% Discount. Coupon Code: JAN25
Connect for special KNOWLEDGE STORE Deals Subscription starts at $ 20K