Future Opportunities in Bottled Water
Leveraging purity, ethical and health credentials
The bottled water market in Europe, the US and Japan is forecast to grow by a CAGR of 5.3% to reach $76.4bn by 2012. Growth will be driven by manufacturers promoting the provenance of water by placing greater emphasis on the source. Companies are also demonstrating their ethical and green credentials by seeking to adopt more socially responsible business practices and reducing carbon footprints.
Functional bottled water continues to see growth with NPD featured around weight management, improvement in mental function, skin hydration and anti-ageing benefits. ‘Future Opportunities in Bottled Water: Leveraging purity, ethical and health credentials’ is a new management report published by Business Insights that analyzes innovation and NPD strategies by category, region and type of innovation. This report provides global bottled water market values across key regions/countries and profiles the leading players. It identifies key growth opportunities and emerging trends and also assesses the impact of regulations and social trends on NPD.
The value of the bottled water market in Europe, the US and Japan is forecast to grow at an annual average rate of 5.3% between 2006 and 2012 and will be worth almost $76.4bn by the end of that period.
Bottled water growth in the US market is expected to be double that in Europe, such that the US market will account for 32% of market revenue by value. However, Europe will remain the leading region, and will account for 61% of total market share by 2012.
Flavored still water is the most innovative bottled water segment, with 8.8% of all launches in this area classed as being innovative between 2005 and 2008. Flavored sparkling was the least innovative category with 2.6% of innovative product launches.
Use this report to...
- Quantify the value, size, geography and growth potential of the bottled water market using this report’s data for key categories including still and sparkling, flavored and unflavored waters across Europe, the US and Japan.
- Understand which key trends in bottled water NPD offer the greatest growth potential with this report’s analysis of trends within health, premiumization, ethical and convenience.
- Benchmark your competitive position aganist other players in the bottled water market based on this report’s analysis of Groupe Danone, Nestlé, PepsiCo, Coca Cola, TalkingRain Beverage Co, Y Water Inc and Plup Oy Ab Ltd.
- Improve the targeting and effectiveness of your NPD strategy using this report’s analysis of product launch data for over 1,600 products launched between 2005-2008.
Functional health benefits. Functional waters continue to be a key area of growth in the bottled water market with a focus on how to offer functional health benefits and greater flavor without being seen to impair product purity and naturalness.
Sugar content. Consumer perceptions of flavored and functional waters are changing as some of the bestselling enhanced water brands contain almost as much, in some cases more, sugar than competing soft drinks.
Ethical Consumerism. Concerns over plastic bottle waste, the emission of greenhouse gases and wasted natural resources are continuing to impact NPD in the bottled water market.
Tap Water. Bottled water sales may be threatened by Government initiatives to increase the consumption of tap water. Tap water is reported to be 500 times cheaper and produces 300 times less CO² than bottled water.
Your questions answered...
- What are the key innovations in bottled water market which will be significant in the next five years?
- How are manufacturers addressing safety and environmental issues?
- Which companies are driving innovation in the bottled water market?
- Why do manufacturers need to review the development of healthy bottled water products to keep them in line with consumer behaviour?
- How are urban lifestyles influencing new product development in the bottled water market?
- What new functional ingredients are delivering health and well-being within the bottled water market?