The DES market has seen tremendous growth since the introduction of DES in 2003, but the market suffered setbacks in 2007 on the release of clinical data that indicated a link to increased thrombosis. Sales of DES have since stabilized owing to the introduction of novel stents with proven superior therapeutic properties over the traditional bare metal stent.
Features and benefits
- Assess the major market trends including mergers and acquisitions, and licensing agreements and their impact on the market.
- Identify the growth strategies of the leading market players and their likely impact on the future DES market.
- Identify key innovations that will shape the DES market of the future.
- Gain insight into the influence of the emerging economies in determining the present and future DES market size.
- Identify emerging companies that are likely to compete in the near future with the leading DES manufacturers.
The DES market has been traditionally characterized by low levels of innovation. However, with the shift in hospital purchasing models from the current sole-supplier model to the capitation pricing model, innovative products are the only ones likely to command premium prices. Thus, this will increase the level of innovation in this segment.
The DES markets in India and China are set to undergo growth in the next five years, concurrent with the improvement of the economies of these two countries and the introduction of the ‘Healthy China 2020’ plan. However, leading players face stiff competition from local companies in these regions.
Hospitals are currently entering into preferred-supplier agreements whereby they source their medical device requirements from one or two preferred suppliers to leverage volume-based discounts. This puts large suppliers such as Boston Scientific in an advantageous position as they can cater to consolidated spend categories.
Your key questions answered
- What are the innovations being made in DES technology which of these offers significant potential for future growth?
- What are the key industry trends in terms of mergers and acquisitions and contractual and licensing agreements between buyers and suppliers?
- What are the key regulations in the DES segment and what is the possible impact of new DES technology on the product approval process?
- How have the leading players built a strong position in the DES market and what are their future growth strategies?
- Who are the emerging players in the DES market, what threat do they pose, and what are their business expansion strategies?