Verdict Research: In an intensely competitive retail market, keeping customers satisfied has never been more important. Retailers need to understand how they satisfy their shoppers in order to enhance their appeal and increase customer loyalty. Moreover, an insight into what drives customer satisfaction at competitors is essential in order to win customers from them.
- Measures and ranks customer satisfaction for all significant retailers in the sector over six years (2004-2009)
- Includes ratings for eight performance metrics: price, range, quality, service, convenience, ambience, layout and facilities
- Covers 13 retailers including Argos, Asda, Debenhams, Dunelm, Homebase, Ikea, John Lewis, M&S, Matalan, Sainsbury, Tesco, Wilkinsons and Woolworths
John Lewis has maintained its top position in homewares, despite achieving six fewer points than its 2008 total. John Lewis particularly excels in the service category, achieving an overall score of 27 points, ahead of nearest rival Homebase. John Lewis also ranks well for range and quality.
IKEA has regained ground, climbing up to second place. One particular area of strength for the retailer is range, an attribute on which it is now ranked highest among homewares retailers, from its position of fourth in 2008. IKEA also scores highly for layout and facilities. However, IKEA continues to struggle on convenience.
Debenhams has made significant strides and is the most improved retailer by points scored and places gained. The retailer's 37 point gain has improved its ranking to fourth, from 11th in 2008. This has been driven primarily by improvements in ambience, where it is now first, and layout, where it has improved from tenth to third.
Reasons to Purchase
- Identify the preferences of your shoppers and how successful you are in delivering on them to help you retain your customers.
- Understand the weaknesses of your competitors' customer proposition that can be exploited to your advantage.
- Independently track how strategies and management policy are affecting or influencing customer satisfaction.