Verdict Research: In an intensely competitive retail market, keeping customers satisfied has never been more important. Retailers need to understand how they satisfy their shoppers in order to enhance their appeal and increase customer loyalty. Moreover, an insight into what drives customer satisfaction at competitors is essential in order to win customers from them.
- Measures and ranks customer satisfaction for all significant retailers in the sector over six years (2004-2009)
- Includes ratings for eight performance metrics: price, range, quality, service, convenience, ambience, layout and facilities
- Covers 12 retailers including Aldi, Asda, Co-op, Iceland, Lidl, M&S, Morrison, Netto, Sainsbury, Somerfield, Tesco and Waitrose
For the fourth year running, Waitrose is the highest scoring food & grocery retailer. The highlight of its performance has been regaining first place in the quality measure, after two years sitting behind rival M&S. The retailer's attractive store environments and partnership model sees it maintain dominance in both ambience and service.
Hard discounter Aldi maintains second place in the rankings. A heavy focus on low prices means the retailer achieves by far the highest score in this measure. However, it also scores third place for quality, only ranking behind Waitrose and M&S, in an indication that many shoppers are impressed with Aldi's products in comparison to branded goods.
Tesco achieves the biggest improvement in this year's food CSI ranking. The retailer has added nine points to its score to move two places up the ranking. This is largely due to its ever expanding, flexible store format achieving second best score for convenience and the top score for facilities.
Reasons to Purchase
- Identify the preferences of your shoppers and how successful you are in delivering on them to help you retain your customers.
- Understand the weaknesses of your competitors' customer proposition and exploit it to your advantage.
- Independently track how strategies and management policy are affecting or influencing customer satisfaction.