Type 2 diabetes (T2D), formerly known as non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus or adult-onset diabetes mellitus, is a chronic disorder of glucose equilibrium that results from the body's inability to make use of available insulin along with relative insulin deficiency. T2D constitutes approximately 90% of all diabetes cases around the world; type 1 diabetes (T1D) and gestational diabetes make up the remaining 10% of the cases. Risk factors for T2D are broadly categorized as either modifiable or non-modifiable risk factors. Lifestyle factors such as obesity, physical inactivity, and dietary habits are modifiable risk factors, whereas family history and advancing age are non-modifiable risk factors. T2D is also associated with several comorbidities, such as CKD, CVD, hypertension, and dyslipidemia, which can worsen the quality of life of the patient, and can lead to poor therapeutic outcomes. Diabetes is one of the most common non-communicable diseases worldwide and is an escalating public health problem globally.
GlobalData epidemiologists forecast an increase in the diagnosed prevalent cases of T2D in the 9MM, from 116,871,808 diagnosed prevalent cases in 2015 to 151,907,657 diagnosed prevalent cases in 2025, with an Annual Growth Rate (AGR) of 3.00%. The projected increase in the diagnosed prevalent cases of T2D across all the markets covered in this analysis is attributed to the actual increase in the incidence of T2D along with the change in population demographics in the respective markets.
GlobalData epidemiologists utilized country-specific diagnosed prevalence data for T2D across the 9MM. Additionally, the epidemiological forecast for the diagnosed prevalent cases of T2D in the 9MM is supported by nationally representative longitudinal historical data obtained from studies in respective countries published in peer-reviewed journals or national healthcare databases, which provide a detailed insight into the epidemiology of the disease in these markets.
- The Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) EpiCast Report provides an overview of the risk factors and global trends of T2D in the 9MM (US, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, UK, Japan, China, and India). It includes a 10-year epidemiology forecast of T2D diagnosed prevalent cases segmented by age (in ten-year increments beginning at ages 20-30 years and ending at age 80 years and older), sex, and comorbidities including chronic kidney disease (CKD), cardiovascular disease (CVD), overweight/obesity, hypertension, and dyslipidemia in these nine markets.
- The T2D epidemiology report is written and developed by Masters- and PhD-level epidemiologists.
- The EpiCast Report is in-depth, high quality, transparent and market-driven, providing expert analysis of disease trends in the 9MM.
Reasons to buy
The T2D EpiCast report will allow you to -
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global T2D market.
- Quantify patient populations in the global T2D market to improve product design, pricing, and launch plans.
- Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the age groups and sex that present the best opportunities for T2D therapeutics in each of the markets covered.
- Identify the percentage of T2D diagnosed prevalent cases by age, sex, and comorbidities.