Market overview of the nuclear decommissioning market
The research analyst predicts the global nuclear decommissioning market to grow at a CAGR over 2% during the forecast period. Fatal accidents such as the Chernobyl and Fukushima incidents have propelled the growth of this market. This has resulted in an increase in the decommissioning of nuclear plants across the globe. For instance, during 2011, Germany decided to phase out all its operating nuclear plants from its power mix by the end of 2022, which in turn augments the market growth.
The difficulty in disposal of radioactive nuclear waste is another factor driving this market's growth. For instance, nearly 27 tons of nuclear waste is generated from a 1,000-MW nuclear reactor every year. This radioactive waste generates a large amount of heat and takes a long period to decay. Improper disposal of these waste products could result in serious environmental contamination. With the increase in such complexities, the demand for nuclear decommissioning is expected to grow in the coming years. Germany, the US, the UK, and Slovenia are members of the NEA (Nuclear Energy Agency), which is an agency focusing on advanced technology for safe decommissioning.
End-user segmentation and analysis of the nuclear decommissioning market
- Pressurized water reactor (PWR)
- Pressurized heavy water reactor (PWHR)
- Boiling water reactor (BWR)
The PWR segment dominated the nuclear decommissioning market during 2015and this reactor type is the highest in number globally. The phase-out of nuclear power generation has resulted in an increased number of shutdowns. As of 2015, seven PWR nuclear reactors have gone offline with an installed capacity of 8,469 MW. With decreased government support and public opposition, the demand for nuclear decommissioning is expected to increase.
Geographical segmentation and analysis of the nuclear decommissioning market
EMEA accounted for over 60% of the market share based on installed capacity during 2015 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7% during the forecast period. The shift in power generation pattern owing to past nuclear accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in Russia and the Fukushima nuclear disaster in Japan has created a negative impact on the European nuclear industry, thereby driving the market growth for nuclear decommissioning in this region.
Competitive landscape and key vendors
Medium-sized and large suppliers dominate the global nuclear decommissioning market. The market in EMEA and the Americas is dominated by large and established players. APAC is not expected to see much growth in decommissioning technologies due to the lack of government initiatives in the region.
The leading vendors in the market are -
- Other prominent vendors in the market include EnergySolutions, Nuvia Group, Nuclear Decommissioning Services, and Ansaldo NES.
Key questions answered in the report include
- What will the market size and the growth rate be in 2020?
- What are the key factors driving the global nuclear decommissioning market?
- What are the key market trends impacting the growth of the nuclear decommissioning market?
- What are the challenges to market growth?
- Who are the key vendors in this market space?
- What are the market opportunities and threats faced by the vendors in the global nuclear decommissioning market?
- Trending factors influencing the market shares of the Americas, APAC, and EMEA?
- What are the key outcomes of the five forces analysis of the nuclear decommissioning market?