The global wound dressings market is expected to reach USD 8.46 billion by 2021 from USD 6.31 billion in 2015, at a CAGR of 6.0% from 2016 to 2021. The advanced wound dressings segment is expected to contribute 77.2% share to the overall market in 2016. Introduction of new and advanced wound dressing products is fueling the growth of wound dressings market.
“Foam dressings to contribute largest share in wound dressings market”
In advanced wound dressings, the foam dressings segment is estimated to be valued highest in 2016, and is projected to continue holding largest share throughout the forecast period. Europe is the major market for this segment. The high share of foam dressings segment is attributed to increasing patient awareness regarding advanced wound products, increasing incidences of diabetes, and increase in aged population.
Companies operating in the advanced wound care market have received FDA approvals to increase their product offerings in this market. Key players operating in this market include Smith & Nephew plc (U.K.), 3M Company (U.S.), Conva Tec Inc. (U.S.), Hollister Wound Care (U.S.), Molnlycke Health Care AB (Sweden), and BSN Medical (Germany).
“Alginate dressings is the fastest-growing segment of wound dressings market”
Alginate dressings are biodegradable, reduce pain, and keep the tissues moist during healing. Alginate dressings help in the absorption of wound exudates and form a gel-like covering over the wound, which further aids in retention of moisture. The alginate has the capacity to absorb 20 times its weight in exudates and facilitates the process of autolytic debridement. These advantages of alginates over other dressings are expected to drive the growth of alginates segment at the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Alginate dressings are best suited for pressure and diabetic foot ulcers and venous leg ulcers, post-operative wounds, cavity wounds, traumatic wounds, malignant wounds, pilonidal sinus wounds, partial thickness burns, graft donor sites, and abrasions. They are also used to control minor bleeding. New products in alignates segment are being developed by several companies. Key players in the alignates market include Smith & Nephew plc (U.K.), 3M Company (U.S.), Hollister, Inc. (U.S.), and Mölnlycke Health Care AB (Sweden).
Reasons to buy this report:
From an insight perspective, this research report has focused on various levels of analysis—industry analysis (industry trends), market share analysis of top players, supply chain analysis, and company profiles, which together comprise and discuss the basic views on the competitive landscape; emerging and high-growth segments of the wound dressings market; high-growth regions; and market drivers, restraints, and opportunities.
The report provides insights on the following pointers:
- Market Penetration: Comprehensive information on wound dressings offered by the top players in the global wound dressings market
- Product Development/Innovation: Detailed insights on upcoming technologies, research & development activities, and new product launches in the wound dressings market
- Market Development: Comprehensive information about lucrative emerging markets –the report analyzes the markets for wound dressings across regions
- Market Diversification: Exhaustive information about new products, untapped geographies, recent developments, and investments in the global wound dressings market
- Competitive Assessment: In-depth assessment of market shares, strategies, products, and manufacturing capabilities of the leading players in the global wound dressings market.