Emerging markets have represented important growth opportunities for the global pharmaceutical industry, but it has been unclear the extent to which this has been accompanied by growth in domestic innovation within these countries. This report examines the most prominent domestic innovators, assessing key research strategies, front-running candidates, scientific strengths, and patent portfolios.
Features and benefits
- Assess the extent of innovative drug discovery occurring in each if the emerging markets and compare the output of pharmaceutical patent applications.
- Understand the factors that have encouraged or hindered innovative research and gain insight into the wider environment faced by innovators.
- Identify the most prominent innovative companies in each country and understand the role of innovation within their broader business strategies.
- Identify each company's therapeutic priorities, research strategies, scientific strengths, key pipeline projects, and intellectual property.
- Gain insight into the most promising innovative preclinical and clinical candidates and the science on which they are based.
Of the large number of companies assessed for evidence of innovative drug discovery, only a small proportion met our criteria for inclusion. In total 47 profiles are provided. A common feature is that these companies have a source of revenue aside from innovative drugs. Pure research-based innovators funded solely by venture capital are rare.
Drugs derived from botanical sources feature heavily in the pipelines of innovative companies from several of the emerging markets. These drugs range from multi-component extracts to synthetic compounds based on natural product leads. Some companies are applying a high-technology approach to understanding the mechanism of action of botanical drugs.
While China in particular can boast the successful innovation of novel drugs (gene therapies) ahead of companies in the West, it is notable that regulatory approvals for successful drugs have been limited to the country of origin. A novel drug of global importance is yet to appear from the emerging markets, but the potential in niche areas is high.
Your key questions answered
- Have countries with large growth in their pharmaceutical markets also undergone growth in the pursuit of innovative drugs?
- Which countries have fostered an environment conducive to innovative drug discovery, and how have the domestic pharmaceutical industries evolved?
- Which are the most prominent domestic innovators, what is their background, and what therapeutic advances are they aiming to achieve?
- What pipeline drugs do domestic companies have, what is their current status, and what will they be competing with if they reach the market?
- What are the chemical structures of lead entities, what international patents have been filed, and which companies are seeking collaborations?