Vendors have been the main proponents of the smart cities concept – operators need to define the application spaces where they can play a greater role as providers of innovative smart cities solutions.
There is no single definition of a ‘smart city’, but connectivity underpins many aspects of the concept. Smart city IoT and M2M solutions can introduce a variety of efficiencies to city management, improve competitiveness and enhance quality of life. Telecoms service providers have been largely absent from, or in the background of, smart city initiatives, but we have identified some cases where operators could be involved in providing solutions and connectivity for such projects.
- analyses IoT and M2M opportunities in smart cities for telecoms service providers
- focuses on the implementation of communication-based technologies including:
- municipal Wi-Fi
- video surveillance
- intelligent street lighting
- smart parking
- smart waste management
- addresses the following questions:
- What is a smart city?
- Which mobile network operators (MNOs) have been involved in smart city projects?
- What smart city applications could MNOs provide?
- Which vendors are positioned to become smart city market leaders?
The following companies are mentioned in this report.
- Cisco Systems
- Deutsche Telekom
- Jasper Wireless
- LG CNS
- PCCW Global
- Telmex (América Móvil)
- Thales Group