Features and benefits of this thoroughly-researched and highly-regarded management report:
- High quality research and forecasts: Independent research, combined with detailed 5-year forecasts, informed commentary and unrivalled primary source data will aid your business planning and decision-making process
- Global coverage - with 74 country markets profiles: Scope opportunities for new investment or sales growth, with detailed historical data and forecasts on the leading developed economies as well as key emerging markets from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Emerging Europe, and the Middle East
- Issue driven: Understand the latest company, product, and regulatory developments
- Company Insight - with the 26 leading companies reviewed: Who’s working with whom? Who’s suing whom? Who’s up, who’s down? Assess the activities, strategies and market position of your competitors, partners and clients
- Flexible formats: Available in pdf format with online access included in the price. Cost-effective distribution licences can ensure you get the best from your investment
- Biosimilars: Coverage of the fast developing biosimilars market
Easily understand the threats and opportunities that are shaping this rapidly evolving sector!
If the branded pharmaceutical industry was facing a patent cliff it is now teetering on the edge of it. Ironically, it is the world’s best selling drug, Lipitor, which exemplifies the trend. Despite still having patent protection, Pfizer has been unable to stem the tide of interest and pressure from a number of companies, Ranbaxy being chief amongst them. Despite pressure on prices in many markets, the generic sector continues to thrive with increased sales across the board in 2012. The maturity of the sector can also be seen in the size of the businesses: there are now 18 generic companies with revenues in excess of US$1,000 million, 6 more than in 2008/09.
In recent years there has been a trend towards consolidation, both within the generics industry itself, and between the generics industry and the branded industry. This has been a trend born of necessity, reflecting both the difficult economic environment and the slowdown in development of innovative drugs. Without doubt, the most important and largest acquisition to have taken place over the last year has been the merger between Watson Pharmaceuticals and Actavis. The merger has created a company with revenues for the year ended 31st December 2012 of just over US$5.9 billion.
The generic market is experiencing two opposing trends driven by the global downturn. On one hand, the use of generics is increasing due to their cost-effectiveness and adoption has accelerated in markets where branded prescribing was dominant. On the other hand, the squeeze on government spending has not left generics untouched, with many countries lowering generic prices through cuts in reimbursement rates or contract tendering with a resultant squeeze on margins.
Industry consolidation, new market opportunities, the latest on biosimilars plus much, much more!
This leading report, now in its 11th year of publication, draws on primary research with companies, statistics offices, health ministries and trade associations worldwide and provides standard, comparative data and discussion on key issues. This extensive data set is interpreted and evaluated by the editors to provide a complete and compelling review of the whole sector.
Key facts, issues and questions
- Which branded companies are taking an increased interest in the dynamic generics market?
- How are generics companies faring in the recession?
- Which companies are involved in the latest legal challenges and litigation?
- Biosimilars get ever closer – what are the latest regulatory updates?
- Which country markets have experienced the largest growth in 2012 and which are forecast to be the fastest growers?
- Negative perceptions of generic drug quality – which markets are most exposed?
- Pricing pressures – which markets are facing the greatest pressures on pricing from the government?
- State support for local production – which markets are set to benefit from increased government support?
The interactive web-based version of The World Generic Market Report will rapidly identify the information you are looking for.
- Export data and charts for inclusion in presentations
- Address all questions across the product in your library
- Share access with colleagues near and far with a flexible and cost-effective distribution licence