Payment Cards in the Netherlands is an invaluable guide to an established payment card market. The report provides statistics on market size, competitor market shares and forecasts. It also provides an overview of regulation, competitor activities, issuer strategy, consumer attitudes, and product innovation including developments in contactless, mobile payments, online payments, and prepaid cards.
Features and benefits
- Detailed market sizing, competitor shares and forecasts are invaluable for any cards player building a business case for activity in the Netherlands.
- Detailed analysis of consumer attitudes allows issuers to target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behavior and needs.
- In-depth insight into contactless, mobile, prepaid and online payments highlights future opportunities for all industry stakeholders.
- Detailed analysis of the Netherland's regulatory framework assists potential market entrants in understanding current and possible future legislation.
The Netherlands has a developed payment card market that is largely dominated by pay now cards, with consumers comparatively cautious about using credit cards. It was the only country in Western Europe to record an overall decline in the number of cards in circulation between 2006 and 2010.
The Dutch market is heavily dominated by three large banks – ABN Amro, ING, and Rabobank – which cumulatively account for over 85% of the pay now cards in issue. This is the result of an extended trend towards consolidation as issuers have grown through M&A activity due to the lack of organic growth, and the impact of the credit crisis.
Mobile payments in the Netherlands are being driven by the Sixpack program, which aims to create a standardized payment ecosystem. The program's launch has been delayed, however, while it goes to the European Commission. The collaboratively developed iDeal online payments gateway has also proven popular with consumers.
Your key questions answered
- Which card segments are showing the fastest growth in the Dutch payments market and why?
- Who are the key players in the Netherlands and what is their market share?
- How do the Netherlands' and EU regulatory authorities impact the payment cards sector?
- How extensive are mobile and contactless payments and where does future growth lie?