Payment Cards in Poland is a guide to one of Europe's most dynamic payment card markets. The report provides statistics on market size, competitor market shares and forecasts. It also provides an overview of regulations, competitor activities, issuer strategy, product innovation, consumer segmentation and includes developments in contactless, mobile, and online payments as well as prepaid cards.
Features and benefits
- Market sizing, competitor shares and forecasts are an invaluable guide for any cards player building a business case for activity in Poland.
- In-depth insight into contactless, mobile, prepaid and online payments highlights future opportunities for all industry stakeholders.
- Detailed analysis of consumer segmentation allows issuers to target consumers with inside knowledge of their true behavior and needs.
- An overview of Poland's regulatory framework allows current and prospective players to understand the regulatory environment and its implications.
The number of payment cards in Poland recorded a CAGR of 7.6% between 2006 and 2010. However, this increase was not steady, as the total number of cards reached a peak in 2009 at 33.4 million. In 2010 there was a decline of 4.2% but this was in pay later cards only, with the number of pay now cards increasing by 3.5% between 2009 and 2010.
Of the 10 biggest players in the Polish market, Polish-owned PKO Bank Polski is the biggest with an estimated 13.4% share of the card market. However, six of the top 10 market players are foreign owned, including Bank Pekao, BRE Bank, ING Bank, Bank Millennium, Citibank Handlowy, and Kredyt Bank.
Alternative payments show strong potential in Poland and providers have been proactive in terms of conducting trials, but at present all these new technologies are in the formative stages. Alternative payments include online, contactless, prepaid, and mobile channels.
Your key questions answered
- Which card segments are showing the fastest growth in the Polish payments market and why?
- Who are the key players in Polish card payments and what is their market share?
- How do Polish and EU regulatory changes impact the payment cards sector?
- How extensive are mobile, online, prepaid and contactless payments and where does future growth lie?