Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are multipotent stem cells that can differentiate into a variety of cell types, including osteoblasts, chondrocytes, myocytes, adipocytes, beta-pancreatic islets cells, and potentially, other cell types. MSCs are of intense therapeutic interest, because they represent a population of cells with the potential to treat a range of acute and degenerative diseases. MSCs are advantageous over other stem cells types for a variety of reasons, including that they are immuno-privileged, making them an advantageous cell type for allogenic transplantation. Because of their unique capacity to form structural tissues, MSCs also being explored for use in 3D printing applications.
The report describes the current status of MSC research, ongoing clinical trials involving MSCs, late stage MSC clinical trials, and possible uses of MSCs in cell therapy. Because MSCs are a sub-segment of the broader cell therapy (CT) and regenerative medicine (RM) markets, it also gives an overview of the regenerative medicine (RM) and cell therapy (CT) industries.
It also explores recent advances in MSC products and technologies, identifies research priorities by market segment, and assesses 35 leading competitors within the MSC marketplace. For pharmaceutical companies, it reveals how advances in MSC research can reveal potential new drug targets, improve methods of drug delivery, and provide personalized treatment strategies.
There is substantial potential for growth within the MSC market, with more than 30,000 scientific publications published about the cell type, more than 400 clinical trials underway worldwide, and Google Trend data showing MSC searches to be approximately twice as common as the next most common adult stem cell type.
Therefore, the main objectives of the report are to consider the following:
- Current status of global regenerative medicine (RM) industry in the utilization of stem cells in general and MSCs in particular
- Current status of global cell therapy (CT) industry, the application of cell therapy in various disease indications, and the total number of clinical trials involving the different types of stem cells
- Current status of MSCs in clinical trials, the dominance of MSCs in the ongoing clinical trials involving stem cells, the various applications of MSCs in different disease indications, and the number of clinical trials involving MSCs for different disease types
- The number of companies involved in the development of MSCs, the clinical trials sponsored by major companies, and their ongoing search for MSCs-based cell therapy products
- Analysis of traditional market metrics (grant rates, clinical trial rates, patent rates, scientific publication rates) and social analytics (metrics from social media sites, search engines, Google Trends, Google Adwords, and more)
Key questions answered in the report are:
(Regenerative Medicine = RM; Cell Therapy= CT)
- How many companies are currently supporting the regenerative medicine (RM) industry?
- What is the current regional breakdown of RM industry?
- How many RM products have been approved?
- What are the types of diseases are currently being pursued by RM companies?
- What are the major financial events, partnerships and acquisitions in RM sector?
- How do the large pharma companies perceive the value and long-term prospects of RM and cell therapy (CT)?
- What are the major anticipated RM clinical events in 2015-16?
- What are the major therapeutic opportunities for the big pharma in RM and CT?
- How many CT product candidates have reached the Phase IIIstage and what are they?
- What are the CT product candidates being developed for cardiovascular diseases, central nervous system, wounds, spine and orthopedics, diabetes and autoimmune diseases?
- What are the major commercially available CT products?
- What is the total number of CT clinical trials at the global level?
- What are the major cell types used in CT clinical trials?
- What are the major indications addressed by CT clinical trials?
- What are the major CT clinical trials that have reached Phase III?
- How many CT clinical trials failed in the past year and what are they?
- What are the contributions of MSCs to the cell therapy industry?
- What are the biological properties of MSCs?
- What do MSCs get differentiated into?
- What bioactive molecules do the MSCs secrete?
- What are the immunomodulatory functions of MSCs?
- What are the factors impacting the acquisition of MSCs?
- What are the various sources of MSCs?
- What are the ongoing clinical trials using bone marrow-derived MSCs (BMMSCs) for kidney diseases?
- What are the major clinical trials focusing on diabetes using BMMSCs?
- What are the major clinical trials involving BMMSCs for cardiovascular diseases?
- What are the major clinical trials focusing on liver diseases by BMMSCs?
- What are the brain-related diseases addressed by clinical trials using BMMSCs?
- How many clinical trials are conducted for intestinal diseases using MSCs?
- What are the details of clinical trials conducted for musculoskeletal diseases using MSCs?
- Number of clinical trials using MSCs derived from Wharton’s jelly for various diseases?
- What are the disease indications addressed by umbilical cord blood-derived MSCs (UCBMSCs) in current clinical trials?
- What is the current number of clinical trials using MSCs?
- How many major clinical trials using MSCs have reached the Phase III?
- What are the MSCs-based cell therapy products available in the market?
- What is the current size of the MSC marketplace?
35 leading MSC companies are profiled in this report, including:
- American Type Culture Collection Inc. (ATCC)
- Anterogen Co., Ltd.
- Apceth GmbH & Co. KG
- BioCardia Inc.
- BioRestorative Therapies Inc.
- Bone Therapeutics SA
- BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics Inc.
- CellGenix Technologie Transfer GmbH
- Celprogen Inc.
- CellTherapies P/L
- Cesca Therapeutics Inc.
- Cyagen Biosciences Inc.
- Cynata Therapeutics Ltd.
- Cytori Therapeutics Inc.
- Escape Therapeutics
- Kite Pharma Inc.
- Life Technologies Corporation
- Lonza Group Ltd.
- Medipost Co. Ltd.
- Mesoblast Ltd.
- NuVasive Inc.
- Ocata Therapeutics Inc.
- Organogenesis Inc.
- Orthofix International N.V.
- Osiris Therapeutics Inc.
- Pluristem Therapeutics Inc.
- Regeneus Ltd.
- ScienCell Research Laboratories
- STEMCELL Technologies Inc.
- Stemedica Cell Technologies Inc.
- Stempeutics Research Pvt. Ltd.
- TiGenix N.V.
- Vericel Corporation